Delhi College of Engineering (DCE)
Delhi Technological University , Shahbad Daulatpur, Main Bawana Road, DL - 42, IN
Delhi Technological University (DTU), formerly known as Delhi College of Engineering (DCE), is a premier government university located in New Delhi, India. It is one of the oldest engineering colleges in India and Delhi's first engineering college. It was established in 1941 as Delhi Polytechnic and was under the control of the Government of India. The college has been under the government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi since 1963 and was affiliated with the University of Delhi from 1952 to 2009. In 2009, the college was given state university status, thus changing its name to Delhi Technological University. Till the year 2009, DCE shared its admission procedure and syllabus for various B.E courses with their other branch known as Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology,formerly DIT, which were prescribed by Faculty of Technology, University of Delhi.
It offers courses towards Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech), Master of Technology (M.Tech), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Master of Business Administration (M.B.A) and contains fourteen academic departments with a strong emphasis on scientific and technological education and research.
In July 2009 DCE was upgraded to a state and renamed Delhi Technological University, through the Delhi Technological University Bill, 2009. P. B. Sharma was nominated as the university's first Vice Chancellor. The move was met with student protests over the erosion of the DCE brand which culminated to a face-off in March 2010, with the students boycotting the mid-semester exams, and demanding reconsideration of the change and replacement of the VC.[However, the Chief Minister of Delhi, Sheila Dikshitinformed the students that the change will not be reconsidered, and by the end of March the protest dwindled down, with the students taking their exams. In April 2010Times City reported that the government will be willing to change the name to "DCE Technological University" (DCE TU), however, as of September 2016 the university name remains unchanged.
Delhi Technological University (Delhi College of Engineering) operated from the Kashmiri Gate campus in the heart of Old Delhi until 1989, when construction began at the New Campus at Bawana Road in May. Moving of operations from Kashmiri Gate to the new 164 acres campus at Bawana Road began in 1995, and the new campus formally started classes for all four years of study starting 1999.
The new campus is a lush green campus well connected by road. Facilities include a library, a computer center, a sports complex, eight boys' hostels, six girls' hostels, and a married couples' hostel. The campus has residential facilities for faculty and staff. The campus has an auditorium and an open-air theater.